I’m yet to buy my mum a Mother’s Day present this year although she’s told me I can give her $8 for the discounted ABBA CD she recently bought on sale. *sigh*
However, I’ll almost certainly travel the 42km (exactly) to her place, overnight it and cook her breakfast.
Both she and I are trying to lose weight and fortunately Weight Watchers has a heap of recipes which provide a good balance between being healthy while NOT compromising taste. Or, you know… fun.
So I decided to participate in WW’s Mother’s Day Breakfast in Bed Challenge and am planning to make mum the Bacon and Baked Bean Breakfast Stack. Now I know the day’s not about ‘me’ but I love both bacon and baked beans – yummy AND fibre-rich… so it’s a no-brainer. (The suggested recipes are all pretty straightforward – so youngsters can take over the kitchen – and include: Breakfast berry trifle, Bagels with smoked salmon and so forth. But…. hello?! BACON!)
Because I’m somewhat of a perfectionist I actually tested the recipe out in advance. (The things we do for love!)
For a change I’m including the recipe – compliments of WW. Although I have (ahem) made a few adjustments as it was a workday and I’m not an early riser.
2 can(s) Weight Watchers Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce (2 x 130g cans)
42 g Bacon, 97% fat free, raw, (2 x slices)
6 individual cherry tomato, halved
45 g baby spinach leaves, (11 / 2 cups) Cos blech!
2 slice(s) wholegrain bread, toasted (GF for me!)
80 g low-fat cottage cheese
2 x 3 second spray
- Heat baked beans in a small saucepan over low heat until hot. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm. (Or… zap in microwave for 90 seconds)
- Meanwhile, lightly spray a small non-stick frying pan with oil and heat over medium heat. Cook bacon for 2 minutes each side or until golden and crisp. Transfer to a plate. Cover to keep warm. (Or zap in microwave for 30 seconds!)
- Re-spray pan with oil and place over medium-high heat. Add tomato and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until tomato starts to soften. Add spinach and cook for a further 30 seconds or until wilted. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. (Or, add to bacon when microwaving)
- Place a slice of toast on each plate. Top with baked beans,
spinach, bacon, tomato and feta cottage cheese. Season with freshly black ground pepper. Serve.
For the WWers out there, the brekkie is only 7 ProPoints!
But what’s super-important:
- For normal person – Prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: 10 minutes Serves: 2
- For me – Prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: 3 minutes (ie. BARGAIN!)
It was totally scrumptious breakfast recipe but I’m thinking I could *probably* use real pots and pans on Mother’s Day, as a gesture of my love. ‘n’ stuff.
If you’re a mum, do you get breakfast in bed on Mother’s Day?
Do you take shortcuts like moi (microwaving rather than using the stove)?
Disclaimer: I have been given a free six month online membership to Weight Watchers but my thoughts, opinions and cooking expertise here are my own. 😉
I’m also Wordless Wednesdaying it with Trish from My Little Drummer Boys.