It’s Monday and time for me to return to work. Alas.
I suspect many others are also starting back today after the holiday break. I’m hoping to get back into my reading and writing rhythm as well, so I’m again linking up with Sheila at Book Journey to share my recent reading.
Read last week
In a ridiculously low-reading week I read one book. Yes, you heard me right… ONE.
I’d like to be able to say that I was SO busy with important life-changing stuff that I just didn’t have time to pick up a book. But it’s not the case.
The book in question – In Certain Circles – was actually a bit of a fizzer despite its potential, so I’ve already reviewed it in Goodreads.
Posted last week
I shared my review of Tami Hoag’s Cold Cold Heart, which I enjoyed. I’m not sure why I don’t read more of her novels but recall a negative experience in the long-forgotten past. It must be time for me to forgive and forget and get back into her work.
I posted my review of Amy Hatvany’s Outside the Lines – a book about mental illness and societal norms, wrapped up in a moving story to ensure it’s not confronting for readers.
I also blogged about a house swap with a difference. My mother and I switched houses for 4-5 days last week – which is less weird than it sounds. I live by the beach and wanted to give my mum time there and I like the idea of escaping from my old life a little.
What I actually did last week
I bunkered down and slept A LOT.
I also watched a heap of DVDs which I borrowed from the local video library.
• Divergent – enjoyed more than I expected
• Grand Budapest Hotel – okay, but took me a while to warm to it
• Hunger Games 2 (Catching Fire) – enjoyed though was a tad confused by the end (ie. which of the other game players were in on the ruse!)
• Hobbit 2 (Desolation of Smaug) – watched only for the Richard Armitage factor
• The Host – based on Stephenie Meyer’s ‘other’ book. I lasted about 10 mins and then put it aside. So it was true to the book! 😉
• Game of Thrones s2 – I lasted about 15 minutes and remembered why I hadn’t rushed to watch the second season 3-4 years after watching the first. #meh
I also started watching my own purchases and rewatched s1 of Continuum. And… by the time this post goes live I’ll have watched s2.
Next week’s reading
I’m going to kick off my 2015 Oz author reading with Bronwyn Parry’s Storm Clouds – which sounds like it will offer up a good mix of romance and suspense.
And then there’s Fleur Smithwick’s How To Make A Friend, which I had thought I’d read this past week… but,well…
I’ve also got The Rosie Project and The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion which my mother borrowed from a friend, so ‘might’ try to get to them as well.
What’s on your agenda (reading or otherwise) for the next week?